5 things to watch for – Premier League 2011/12 Preview
This entry was posted on Monday, August 1st, 2011
Strap yourselves in for the ride ahead.
The Emirates Cup last weekend saw Arsenal fail to land a trophy. And although not everything can be quite as predictable as that these days, don’t be surprised to get a sense of déjà vu when the following happens in the Premier League this season.
1) One of the promoted teams will ‘catch everyone by surprise’ by winning a few games before the end of October. A reporter on Match of The Day will chuckle heartily when asking the manager if he is dreaming of Europe. They will then go 18 games without a win from January and get relegated. Swansea are the most likely candidates. Back them to go down at 1.62 on Betfair.
2) Every single match played by Chelsea, will be compared to a similar fixture under Jose. Back Villas-Boas to echo the special one by winning the title in his first season – at 5/2 with bet365.
3) After a dozen games, pundits will claim 2011/12 is, “one of the tightest ever Premier League battles”, forgetting that everyone is bound to be near each other with only 36 points played for. However, by the end of the season, the final day will see the title and fourth spot long wrapped up leaving Sky to focus on the relegation race, and especially Dave Whelan (see point 5.)
4) Arsenal will start the season well and spank someone 6-0. By January they’ll be top, with talk of doubles and trebles, but by May they will just about hold on to 4th. Back Arsenal to stay in the Champions League places at 1.77 on Betfair.
5) Wigan will be in relegation trouble on the final day of the season, having failed to get talents such as Mohammed Diame and Steve Gohouri to play like Xavi and Iniesta. They’ll survive however, leaving Dave Whelan to be caught teary-eyed by the Sky cameras before he hugs Roberto Martinez on the pitch, proclaiming him as the next Sir Alex. Lay Wigan to get relegated on Betfair at 3.1.